Microsoft Corporation

1 - 10 of 122 InterviewsSort By: Popularity  |  Latest

Technical Skills

Test → Test → Other Interview → Technical Interview → Other Interview

Experience

30 general aptitude type, 20 pseudo code type. The pseudo code type questions had no coding- just identification of error, correct o/p etc

Experience

Pure coding round just write code and submit (no compilation). There were three questions in this  round: Given an array and a number N,find whether there are tuples in the array with difference equal to N. Insert an element into a sorted circular linked list. Given a BST and an element N,output the leftmost node at the same level at that element in the tree

Other Interview

This round tried my patience! It was almost exclusively a discussionof my areas of interest. I said network security – so he went into the detailsof cryptography and attacks like buffer overflow. That went on for say 50minutes or so. After that he asked me a coding problem.The problem was to compress a string in place. Having seen thefamous string expansion in place problem many times, I promptly said run lengthencoding (i.e. compress aaaaaabbbbbccc to a6b5c3 for example). He asked me tocode it and write a few test cases for it

This was a nice, pure problem-solving round.First, he asked me the famous “Tell me about yourself” and “How wereyour earlier rounds” questions. But trust me, they were only ice-breakers. Then he started his session. He asked me to tell him beforehand if Iknew the solution to any problem. The following were his questions:WAP to print a matrix spirally.I told him I knew the problem so he skipped it.Search for an element in arotated sorted array (of course in sublinear time!). I tried a twist to binarysearch using rotations, but he pointed out an infinite loop in my code, which Ifailed to correct! Then he changed the question to find the number of rotationsin such an array in sublinear time. This also I could only solve for distinctelements. So he went to the next question.Really nice DP problem. Givenan amount and an array containing possible coin denominations, determine thesmallest no of coins in which the amount may be formed. Assume you have infinite units of each denomination

Other Interview

This was the hardest and best round. The interviewer was a finalround specialist!First, he asked me about my internship, which I explained to him. Hediscussed it for hardly 10 minutes.Then he started his attack! Even this guy told me that if I knew aquestion, I should ask him to skip it. There were three questions here:Given a linked list, swap itsnodes pair-wise. This is not so simple as it looks, trust me. It has more edgecases than apparent and was a true test of pointer manipulation.Given an array, bring all itsdistinct elements to the top in whatsoever order; the rest of the array is notimportant. First I suggested in O(n) space. Then he asked me to do it withoutextra space. I needed a sorted array for that, which he asked me to assume.Then it is solvable under the required conditions.Given a matrix, find an elementthat is max in its row and min in its col. However, he said in the end, thiswas not the question. The actual question was whether there can be more thanone such element in the matrix, assuming all elements are distinct. Wrote a small proof that there cannot

Overall Experience

These guys focus a lot on data structures, especially the basic ones like linked lists and binary trees. I felt these are the topics with max weightage (just my personal opinion!).

Coding Skills

Communication And Confidence

Logical And Structured Thinking

Test → Test → Technical Interview → Technical Interview → Technical + HR Interview

The test had 3 questions as follows :
Q1. Rainwater Collection - Dynamic programming
Q2. DP / Memoization question
Q3. BFS Matrix Question

Experience

Both questions were based on implementation of puzzles and problems.

The interviewer asked me about my previous internships while in college and made me explain the work I did. Later on he asked me in detail about the projects I did in college.

I was first asked a coding question related to finding similarity in two words and I had to define the terms of similarity on my own which I did by normalizing length of LCS by the total length of the string. Then I was faced with stress checking. They tried proving me wrong even though when I was right and checked my reaction under stress.

Coding Skills

Q1. Rainwater Collection - Dynamic programming
Q2. DP / Memoization question
Q3. BFS Matrix Question

Experience

Both questions were based on implementation of puzzles and problems.

Interview Details

I was interviewed on Apr, 2017.

Problem Solving Abilties

Algorithmic Approach To Problem Solving

Data Structures

Technical Interview → Technical Interview → Technical + HR Interview

We dicussed what can be the various approaches for string compression and then I was asked to code the encoding and decoding functions for the same.

Again, it was a coding round.We discussed the approach, then I wrote the code and further discussions on optimisation.

Technical + HR Interview

It was a short HR round but it was technical. Projects mentioned in the resume were discussed. Ideas, approach and concepts behind it were asked.

Interview Details

I was interviewed on Aug, 2016.

Test → Technical Interview → Technical Interview → HR Interview → Technical Interview → Technical Interview

Quantitative Analysis | Analytical Reasoning | Computer Science

Experience

Computer Science Section has questions based on Networking, Database, Microprocessors, Software Engineering

3 Hours

Experience

3 coding questions involving trees, stack and queues. Solving 2 was a qualifier for the next round.

Interview Details

I was interviewed on Aug, 2016.

Quantitative Analysis | Analytical Reasoning | Computer Science

1 Hours

Analytical Reasoning | Quantitative Analysis | Computer Science Related

Experience

This was an Online Test. The Computer Science Section had all topics included like networking, database, Software Engineering, Microprocessors.

Object Oriented Programming (OOP) Basics

Basic C/C++

C Programming

Algorithms And Data Structures

Test → Test → Test → Technical Interview → Technical Interview → Other Interview

Experience

The MCQs were based on C.C++,Java and some Operating System questions. Around 200+ from our college sat for this round.

Experience

After the first round around 100 (consisting of the internship students as well) students were shortlisted for the second round
Everyone got different sets of questions. The questions I got were :
Given two arrays were digits of one array represent a number,maximize the number by replacing it with elements of second array.
eg:
arr={3,1,4,5,6}
rep={1,9,5,2,3}

after replacement
arr={9,5,4,5,6}
one digit of rep can be used to replace only once.
For this almost everyone who got this question used a brute force method.But I had used a different approach .I constructed a max heap of rep array.And ran a loop checking if the max element of rep was greater than the element in arr and then replaced it in arr and deleted the same from the maxheap.

Given a matrix ,where each cell represents a value of strength.The value could be positive negative or zero. At each cell the strength value is added.You have to reach from point (0,0) to point (m-1,n-1) if at any point the strength becomes zero or negative then you cant proceed further.Find the minimum strength required before starting to reach the end of the matrix.
eg . {{ 1,-3,0},
{-2,1,-1}} Ans: 2 ( (2+1+(-2)+1+(-1)=1 path taken )
I gave a DP solution but was unable to pass a few test cases in this question

Experience

Around 30 students consisting of students from other colleges as well were called On-site. This was a written round.Everyone was given around 45 mins and 1 question.
Given the root to a binary tree, a value n and k.Find the sum of nodes at distance k from node with value n.
This is similar to this question on geeks ->http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/print-nodes-distance-k-given-node-binary-tree/
I was able to do this quite quickly :D I even explained my answer to the HR and he asked me to write different types of test cases to exhaustively check if my code works on all of them.
After this round around 14 people were shortlisted

These were fairly easy questions . I knew the solutions and explained it to the interviewer.He asked a few questions on them , seemed satisfied.Asked me if I had any questions for him . So I asked him about the different technologies that a new SDE would work on and things like that. I had a pretty good discussion with him he told me many things from his end too.
I made it to the next round then :D

He told me to take my time and give the solution. I gave him a solution of considering the text as a linked list of words . Where each node in the linked list contained the word string and an index .And for every node in the linked list I will have Trie structure. I used trie for efficient search.What I suggested was that I use the trie whenever the user enters a word and insert it into the trie and the leaf of that word will contain the index of that word plus the pointer to that node in the linked list . If suppose the trie already has the word then i increase the word count in the leaf and the leaf will contain a vector that has the list of indexes where the word has occurred and the list of pointers where the word is present in the list.I wrote the code and explained how it can handle all corner cases . We discussed the the solution and he asked me certain questions on different test cases . My approach handled them well. He seemed satisfied . He added to the question that the search query could contain words or phrases . So my use of indexes could handle the phrase search :) . I also suggested that instead of Trie data structure we could use a Ternary Search Tree as that would be more space efficient

This was a HR+Technical Interview

The interviewer was quite experienced and very pleasant. He asked me how my previous rounds went.He was going through my performance review from the previous rounds. He took a glance though my CV and asked me about the projects I did. He saw that I had interned at IITB so he asked me a lot on that project. He also asked me some basic HR questions like Why should Microsoft hire you ? Where do you see yourself in the next 5 years ?.He was very impressed with my academic record and my AIEEE rank. Asked me how I handled my 12th board exams and entrances.He made it very comfortable and was almost chatting and getting to know about me.
Question 1:
Thankfully I was just going through this question just before this round :D . I suggested the solution using Trie and Min Heap.
Similar to -> http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/find-the-k-most-frequent-words-from-a-file/
Question 2 :
First I gave him the brute force approach . Similar to ->http://www.geeksforgeeks.org/root-to-leaf-path-sum-equal-to-a-given-number/
But I knew it wasnt using the fact that we have a Binary Search tree . So the interviewer gave me some hints - like what is main criteria of a BST . I immediately figured out that the minimum path will always be on the right side of the node because it has the larger value. I told him the solution he seemed satisfied.
He then asked if I has any questions for him . So I asked him about where I can improve myself , he said I didnt need any improvement I am doing very well and that I should jus keep doing what I am doing :D That certainly made my day :) I asked a couple more questions about Microsoft and then left.

Finally after a week the results came I received the mail that I had been shortlisted for a Full Time Position :D

Overall Experience

Be confident in the interview . Have a smiling face and be adaptable to the question . The interviewer can anytime change or twist the question just to confuse you.
The interviewers are very helpful , if you feel stuck communicate with them ..explain your approach they will give you hints.
When the interviewer gives the question listen to it carefully do not immediately rush to writing the code .. ask him about the different criteria and restrictions pertaining to the question.
Lastly , hard work goes a long way ! Never loose hope. I got placed in Oracle Applications and Microsoft after being rejected by almost 6 companies :) And believe me those interviews also taught me a lot .
Learn from your failures and don't lose hope :)

Interview Details

I was interviewed on Mar, 2017.

Experience

Basically, a logical aptitude test

Technical Questions

Technical Analysis

Ability To Cope Up With Stress

Test → Problem Statement → Technical Interview → Case Study Interview → Technical Interview

Experience

Two questions were given and we are supposed to write code for the same.

Problem Statement

Problem Statement

A coding question was given.

and

Why Microsoft ?

Experience

You have to solve the question for next round.

A coding question was given, but much difficult one, they were looking for approach

Case Study Interview

A full depth project round was there. They asked my role and responsibility

An application was given to you and you have to make it better the way you can.